Monday, July 2, 2012

Scrapbook Tip 1: Using a Template

This is a very basic tutorial because when I first started digi- scrapping, I had no idea how to use a template, and naturally I didn't want to ask, so I spent hours surfing the web to no avail. It wasn't until I was on a creative team that I worked up the nerve to ask someone how to use one!

So, if you are brand new to digital scrapping, & want to use a template, this is the tutorial for you!

What you will need:
1. A graphic program such as Photo Shop or Photo Shop Elements
2. The template below
3. A scrapbook kit containing digitally created papers and elements


For the purpose of this tutorial, I made a simple template with paper layers only. Next week, we'll cover elements.

When you buy a template from my store, you will see an image like this:


After you purchase the product, you will download a zipped file. A zipped file compresses the file for easy transfer via the internet. You will need to unzip the file to use the templates. Each of my templates are saved in 3 formats: psd, tiff, & png. Psd and tiff work in Photoshop elements and all versions of Photo Shop.

Once you unzipped the download, you will open the file in your graphics program to use the template. It will look like this: 

Do you notice that the template in your workspace looks different than the one on the preview? That is because I only added shadows to the preview to help you visualize what the layout will look like once you have added papers and applied shadows. Everyone shadows differently, and allowing you to apply your own shadows will make your pages look more realistic because it may be hard to adjust an existing shadow.

TIP: If you use a template from another designer who applied shadows on each layer, they are simple to remove. Highlight the layers (as shown above) you want to delete the shadow off of and right click> clear layer styles. 

When working with a template, I always start by placing my papers and photos on the template first. I purposely size photos and papers large so they are easy to see and work with. When I am finished adding elements, particularly clusters, I scale down everything to a smaller size.

So, pick a kit, select your papers, and start adding paper to each layer. For the background paper, simply click on the background layer, & place your paper onto the paper. To keep my layer palette as uncluttered as possible, I merge paper to the template as I go (Ctrl +E, or right click on the paper & select merge down).

Next, add the remaining papers and photo by clipping a paper to each template layer. Click on the layer you want to add the paper to, then add the paper. There are many ways to do this, but I open the file my paper is in, the press Ctrl + A to select it, Ctrl + C to copy it, Ctrl + W to close the original file, the Ctrl + V to paste it onto template. Then I select the paper, right click on it, & click on create clipping mask.

At this point, I merge down on all the paper layers. Then I position my photo by clicking on it in the workspace and positioning it where I want it.

So far, so good. At this point, I add shadow to all my papers and photos (we will discuss shadows in another tutorial) to make the layout look more realistic and help with positioning elements. Here is what my lay out looks like so far:

Next week, we will add  elements, title, & journaling to the layout to make this layout pop and tell a story!

Be sure to join our facebook page, Snap-n-a-Scrap to find out what is happening on the blog, get freebies, find inspiration, and win free kits!

I will also start answer questions you may have about this tutorial as well on the facebook page!

Happy scrapping!


 



No comments:

Post a Comment